Sunday, August 29, 2010

more info

Here we are with another update.  Funny story to start off, when we first saw Shanda for the first time right after her long surgery, she had a IVs and tubes coming out of everywhere, and bless her heart, just looked miserable, and the first thing she said to us "I'm so sorry, I can't and don't want to talk at all, I'm just going to do a lot of listening."  Well, that lasted about five minutes.  All she wants to do is talk, she talks to all the nurses, all the patients in the hallway, EVERYBODY... I guess even a big surgery can't change a person.  She likes to talk about all the things she wants to do when she heals... tennis, her girls, walking, family, testimony, friends, prayers ... list goes on and on.... anyway, I thought that was funny. She is by far the youngest person on the floor, and she has already made a ton of friends, and even has some walking buddies.  She just brings a smile to people's faces when she talks to them, it's awesome.

She does a lot of walking,(30 laps around the floor just yesterday) which is great... we are trying to get her bowels moving, so she can start eating and drinking.  We use a lot of wet swabs to quench her thirst.  She is so thirsty, I feel so bad.  Her Birthday is Tuesday, and all she wants for her birthday is a sip of cold water.  We have high hopes. She has this miserable looking tube that goes up her nose and down her throat.  SHE HATES IT, and I don't blame her.  She is also hoping that gets removed by her birthday.

Right now she is in the middle of getting a blood transfusion because of the ravages of the surgeries and chemo, it is much needed.  She also gets steroids to help with the inflammation.  Her room is a happy room, Sheralee (her mother) has done a fantastic job decorating it.  I think it really makes a big difference.

We just couldn't be more happy with the progress she has made.  It makes my eyes just water thinking about it.  Thanks again for all your love.

Here are some picture, and just so you know, Shanda did give me permission.

Shanda and her mom just before her surgery





Day after her surgery.  Shanda and my parents.


Shanda, her dad, and father-in-law on her many walks

Shanda getting blood and holding her drainage pouch, sorry if too graphic

23 comments:

Shellie said...

Thanks, so much for the updates. We're always wondering how she's doing and really appreciate the time you take to tell us about her. I love the story about her talking- it's so Shanda! :) If I had such great news to share, I'd probably be telling everyone, too! We are so happy for Shanda and all of you! So great to see her smiling. And I know she has so much love surrounding her. We will continue to keep her in our prayers and I look forward to hearing about all the things she'll be doing soon. :)

Renee' Morris-Dezember said...

It's so good to see you...you look beautiful...but even better to talk with you yesterday ...continued prayers for a quick recovery and before you know it you'll be home doing all the things you want ot be doing. Love you!

Alison said...

Larry and Shanda this is such wonderful news! Alison and I have been praying for you both and are so happy for this miracle. I know the Lord has been mindful of your family as He is of all His children. We continue to pray for your family and I wanted to just say hang in there because the Lord has His own timetable so we just keep moving forward and miracles will come!

Laurene said...

I LOVE these photos and the terrific story line that goes with them! I am flabbergasted at how well you are doing, Shanda!!! Incredible!!!

Natalie said...

Way to go, Shanda! You are such an inspiration. Keep that beautiful smile on and know our thoughts and prayers are with you and your cute family!

Kelly said...

I.love the socks!! Keep on moving. Can't wait til you are feeling better.

RP said...

You look so awesome, especially after having such an intensive surgery! You are such an inspiration to us and we are so happy for you and your family. Keep smiling! We are here!

adrianne s. said...

Thanks for keeping us updated. It's amazing that she is able to smile after all she has been through! What miracles! Shanda is an inspiration and your family will continue to be in our prayers and thoughts.

Auna Leigh said...

go shanda go! Look at you Miss Fantastic!!! Take the cancer by the horns!!!! you are amazing! thanks for the update! i wonder if i throw a bikini a mile a way you'd go after it!!! ;) Maybe a pina' colada! love you!

Carol said...

SHANDA YOU LOOK SO GOOD! TODAY I HAVE BEEN SO SICK AND NEVER GET SICK AND WHEN I WAS LAYING THERE WANTING TO CRY THE THOUGHT OF YOU CAME TO MIND AND HOW MUCH YOU HAVE BEEN THROUGH AND HOW I NEED TO SUCK IT UP FOR YOU HAVE BEEN GOING THROUGH SO MUCH AND MY 24HR FLU WILL BE NEVER BE WHAT YOU HAVE HAD TO HANDLE. THANKS FOR FOR BE SUCH AN INSPIATION TO ALL OF US! LARRY THANKS FOR KEEPING US UPDATED!

Unknown said...

I love the SMILES!!!

c-natalie-l-k-l said...

You go, girl!!!! We're so happy that all is going well! You are AMAZING!

Aly G said...

Shanda you look so great for just getting out of surgery!! You can see a sparkle in your eyes!!!! I am so glad to hear all this good news! I couldn't stop smiling and holding back the tears was impossible reading all this GOOD NEWS! You are such a fighter! Woot Woot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Staci said...

I saw on Facebook that there was an update here and I'm grateful for that - I'd forgotten the blog address and have wondered how you're doing. I'm so glad to read the news and that miracles are happening. We will continue to keep you and your family in our prayers and I will continue to check for the updates on your recovery.

Tracey said...

Maybe you should let her blow out her candles early so she can make a wish and get that drink of water!!! It really makes you appreciate the little things in life. You look terrific, I hope you feel at least half that good. Great job on the walking!!! Way to go!

Judaloo said...

Love those leg pumpy things, Shanda! You look great! Lovin' all the smiles, too. Keep up the walking, and making others smile--that is just so you!

Diane said...

You look amazing Shanda! So happy for this wonderful news, you deserve it!

Unknown said...

Larry thanks for the GREAT update & pictures. You may be a blogger someday. By the way. Im glad you got Shandas permission on all the update stuff.

Jennica said...

Glad you've got your talk back on, and I too love all the smiles. Keep up all your hard work and you'll be back to those things you want to do in no time! Lots of love and continued prayers!

ksmile said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHANDA!!! WE'RE WALKING LAPS FOR YOU!

kdnaegle said...

Happy Birthday Shanda! We love you!

rc said...

happy Birthday Shanda! This is the beginning of a new year of a new healthy you! I am so sorry I haven't kept in touch-Randy has been going through chemo-he was in the hospital 3 weeks ago-he had a set back but is doing OK now. A brief vacation from chemo is a good respite! We keep you and your family in our prayers-keep up the walking!Love
Randy and Robbie

Marinda said...

Larry and Shanda,
We haven't posted much but have been following your blog as well as the news my mom has been passing onto us... so glad to hear the great news! What a miracle! Know that we love you and are concerned for you and your family. We pray for you always.
Love, Mindy (and Ben)