Monday, July 19, 2010

Today is a six month follow up...and CT SCAN

I can't believe I was diagnosed with cancer 6 months and 2 weeks ago today.  (But...who's counting?)   It seems as though my life has been FROZEN in time since that day in January, but I look outside and realize that life has gone on for everyone else...it is nearing the end of summer and in my mind, we just finished Christmas!!!  I appreciate your continued support and interest in MY family's battle with this aggressive cancer. 

Today I am scheduled to have my pump removed for a week (and I might spend the whole week in the shower...just because I can!) :)  I am also scheduled for a CT scan of my abdomen...so that they can see if there is any visible growth or change in my cancer.  I will post the results, and I am nervous...but I want to explain a bit that I never would have known before my diagnosis.  Most cancers have a battery of tests that can tell them exactly if the cancer has grown, spread, etc.  There are ct scans, pet scans, mri's, etc.  Pet scans and mri's don't work on the abdomen, and the ct scans have limited capabilities.  I have had several ct scans already in the last year and NONE of them had detected any of the stage 4 cancer that I have.  So...this might come back clean, but it doesn't mean that I am in remission.  I wish there were a better test or a more sure way to find an answer, but this is the best modern medicine has for me right now. 

My other concern is, I have to drink a gallon of baruim "juice" before the test to help them get the best results.  I struggle getting a glass of water down, so I am pretty sure this will be a disaster, but I will try. Here's to a clean CT...

9 comments:

Andrea J said...

A gallon? That does seem like a bit much, good thing you're so tough.

adrianne s. said...

We're praying for a clean scan for you, too! We'll pray for you with that gallon of barium juice, too!!

Kesterfam said...

All our best with this important milestone in your journey! Thinking of you often...

Brendan and Alicia

Renee' Morris-Dezember said...

Thinking of you every minute of every day! You will get through this day...love ya!

Tracey said...

Good luck with the gallon...ugh!!! We'll be praying for the clean CT and especially praying that it's true!!!

Laurene said...

Hooray! Pinocchietta is being set FREE for another week!!! Anxiously awaiting the test results in potato land!

Lexie said...

Wow, six months of this journey are behind you, way to go! I hope that the scan is clear and that it is correct!

Unknown said...

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers quite frequently and I will continue to pray!!

(ps) I'm a friend of Renee's :) finally thought I'd post and let you know that I pray for you often!

Patti said...

Just read your last post. I had forgotten just when you heard about your cancer. It seems to me that both you and Mary will have a wonderful Thanksgiving this year. You will be well and she will have her little daughter. We will all have much to be thankful for.

Love to all of you.