Tuesday, April 20, 2010

MY body HATES chemo... and is punishing ME!

Without going into to detail, I will just tell you that the last 2 weeks have been pretty horrible.  Some days I didn't even come downstairs and stayed in my bed all day because of the pain in my stomach and other things going on.  I couldn't eat or drink...or it made me pretty miserable as well.  It created a pretty bad cycle that hasn't ended.  My oncologists are working to try to figure out the problem.  It might be a genetic thing that is rare (but SO is appendiceal cancer...my odds are amazing!) but if I carry this gene, it makes my body not be able to tolerate this type of chemo.  I don't know what to be hoping for.  I don't want more problems, but I am hopeful for answers...

It was supposed to be ROUND 2 today, but they postponed it a week due to my severe dehydration and continuing symptoms. (please don't ask me what they are...just trust me, they are NOT pleasant and are NOT typical for this treatment)  Chemo isn't fun and carries several symptoms which I am also experiencing, but they are usually tolerable.  I am hopeful that they can figure out what is wrong and get my dosage sorted out.  So they gave me 2 hours worth of IV fliuds and boosted some things in my blood via infusion and we are delaying a week for my next dose.  I am relieved!

Thank you for your continued support, thoughts, kindness, and prayers!

5 comments:

reverseoreo said...

I am so sorry that you have to go thru all of this. I too hope they can figure out an answer to the ploblems and then have alternate routs to take to help withthe problems. I keep praying for you every day. Let me know if I can do any thing for you. Annette

Natalie said...

Shanda, my heart aches for you! I pray the doctors can be able to help you and get rid of that pain. Smile!

Aly G said...

Keep on being positive! You are going to get through it!!!:) Thanks for the updates, thinking of you guys.

Auna Leigh said...

hey lady- what the heck!? i am so sorry you are miserable. no fun. i really want to come for a weekend to help out, but if i am not needed (or wanted for that matter) just let me know. we love you guys both and would love to help any way we can!

Susi said...

S-handa, I wish there was a way to stop your suffering. You are really going through the refiners fire. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Try to focus on the small positive things like the love of your babies, parents and your sweet Larry. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help out. Lots of love... Susi and Brad Woodworth 946-1274