Monday, March 8, 2010

Out of Surgery

This is Larry and I just wanted to give a quick update on Shanda.  It was a long day with a eight hour procedure. Overall, everything went as well as we could have hoped for.  Our Dr. did find several very small questionable deposits in various areas of her abdomen. This was expected because we knew the cancer was not contained after her appendix had burst.  Those were removed and will be biopsied.  They could be nothing or could be cancerous, regardless they are all removed and that is the important thing.  He did some peritoneal stripping, removal of her omentum and more of her colon and any scar tissue from her previous surgeries.  Finally, they poured and stirred heated chemo throughout her abdomen for 2 hours.  The idea is that the chemo is supposed to kill any of the leftover microscopic cancer cells.  It is amazing what they can do these days.  If this was five years ago, we wouldn't have had this option. 
     Shanda is now recovering, many tubes coming out everywhere, but she seems comfortable.  It helps that she will have a epidural for the next several days to help with the pain.  She is in good spirits.  I just want to take this moment to thank everyone for their prayers and kindness.  Shanda tears up daily thinking of all the support she has, it has been amazing.  She didn't say much after her surgery,  I can obviously understand, but she did mumble something about being greatful for having this trial because it has made her a better, stronger person... I know, crazy, my wife finds the positive in everything, she is awesome and I lover her so much.

Anyway, we feel like everything went very well.  I will try to keep this updated, she is better at this than i am, but I will do my best.

Larry

14 comments:

The MadHatters said...

Larry and Shanda,

Your family is in our daily prayers and thoughts! We are so glad to hear that things went well so far. We will continue to keep praying for strenght and hope through this process. Send Shanda our love and keep us updated!!

Kelly said...

So glad this all went so well. Score one more point for Shanda! Please keep me updated...it's killing me to be in Ohio while she is so far away.
Kel

Gigi Geitgey said...

I know I join the rest of my family and Shanda's network of friends in the CSRA / Augusta Ga area to thank you for the update and let you know you are constantly in prayers offered here and in our thoughts. It truly is amazing the progress that has been made in cancer treatments and we're grateful this treatment option was available and that she did not have to travel across the country for it.

We'll be watching your posts for updates.

Bishop and Sister Geitgey
Martinez Ward
Augusta GA Stake

Lexie said...

Thanks for the update, I'm so glad it went well and we will keep praying that it will be effective and take care of that crazy cancer. We love you guys are are praying for you! Please give Shanda and the girls big hugs from us!

reverseoreo said...

Thanks to you Larry for updating the blog.I am glad she is doing ok. If there is anything you need or the girls please let me know. I would like to go visit her in the hospital. Can you let me know where she is at and if she can have visitors. I know it might be too early this week. But can you call and let me know. Thanks Annette

Andrea J said...

Thanks for updating, I have been thinking a lot about you guys these past few days. You both are so strong and positive, I'm touched every time I read your blog.

rc said...

You made it! Now you are healing -getting better and stronger daily. I am confident that you will continue to improve-you will be amazed at how fast all the tubes/drains etc. are discontinued. Thanks so much for the call-you have all been in our thoughts and prayers constantly. Randy is doing great-up and walking 3 times a day-

Natalie said...

Thanks for the update, Larry. You take good care of yourself and Shanda! I know there are many prayers being said for your family. Technology is amazing, and the Lord is in control. Keep on smiling!

Nikki said...

Shanda, I just found out about your illness from someone at CBRC. I have been thinking of you and am sending good wishes for a smooth recovery. You are such a strong and brave person. Best regards, Nikki Gustine

Auna Leigh said...

i already commented on facebook, but i just wanted to let you know that we are soooo happy the surgery went great and that everyone is positive! we will keep sending the vibes and prayers!

love you!

Susi said...

Larry,
Great news!!! Now try to stay positive and know that we are all praying for you. Life is so precious. Please give Shanda our love. Thank you for the update. Your Sunset Ward friends... Brad and Susi Woodworth

Unknown said...

Sending sweet southern healin' vibes your way for a smooth recovery process. Thanks Larry for taking the time to update everyone. Our prayers continue...

Kesterfam said...

We're thinking of you, praying for you, and rooting for you daily, even if we don't call, email, or post on your blog to indicate such! Hope your post-op recovery continues to go well and that you are able to return home soon. All our best!

Brendan and Alicia

Tracey said...

I"m so happy to hear that things went okay. I'm also happy to know she has an epidural, I hope it helps! What a blessing modern medicine is, with that and Shanda's amazing strength I know she'll be able to fight this. I just can't believe she's already grateful for this trial....amazing....I hope I can say that some day about some of the stuff I'm going through, right now I don't feel grateful at all...you're an inspiration Shanda!! Thank you for sharing your strength with us! Best wishes!

Prayers from Japan!!